Houston Furniture Bank has provided essential furniture to nearly 1,000 Houston-area families as part of our Hurricane Harvey recovery efforts to date, giving more than 4,000 pieces of furniture to help families rebuild. This would not have been possible without the support of donors, supporters and volunteers. This includes the many local and national retailers, manufacturers, businesses, organizations, agencies and individuals who have donated money, mattresses and beds, tables and chairs, sofas and other essentials for affected families. Thank you.
How you can obtain furniture from Houston Furniture Bank
As a city, we are now entering a long-term recovery phase. Houston Furniture Bank will continue providing furniture to families and individuals who need it, for as long as we have resources available to continue our efforts. With 25 years of experience in receiving and distribution of household furniture, Houston Furniture Bank is best equipped to be the furniture resource for area agencies working with families affected by Hurricane Harvey.
Families and individuals in need of furniture will be referred to Houston Furniture Bank by agencies serving Harvey victims in the greater Houston area, including Harris, Fort Bend, Montgomery and Galveston County.
Current Participating agencies:
- Houston Health Foundation
- Housing and Community Development, City of Houston
- Community Family Centers
- Recovery Houston
- Project 828
- Many of these agencies already have many families enrolled in their programs. More participating agencies are joining daily.
- Each agency has different processes and qualifications; please direct your questions on these programs directly to them.
- Furniture distribution is provided by appointment only. Agencies/organizations in partnership with HFB will be able to set up an appointment for you to obtain furniture.
- If the agency/organization is NOT already in partnership with HFB, please ask them to send a request for partnership at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For Hurricane Harvey furniture distribution recipients, once you are referred:
- Each family will be able to choose 3 items.
- Items available vary as we depend on donations and when these donations are provided.
- Items may be new or gently-used, depending on availability.
- The items will need to be picked up at the scheduled time. If you are not able to pick up your items delivery can be scheduled for a fee.
- You will need to make sure that we can contact you by phone as we will have to move to the next person if we cannot reach you to schedule your pickup appointment.
While providing emergency support to Harvey victims, Houston Furniture Bank continues the normal furniture distribution operations – providing furniture to families and individuals who are transitioning to independent living, working in partnership with 85+ Houston-area agencies. Through this long-established process, agencies refer clients to us and a case manager coordinates selection of clients, distribution of vouchers, and setting up appointments for the furniture distribution. For additional information on this process, visit http://houstonfurniturebank.org/about-us/our-story/.
How You Can Help
As hundreds of thousands in the Greater Houston region are undergoing the arduous work of recovering and rebuilding their lives after the devastation left by Hurricane Harvey, the Houston Furniture Bank is answering the call of thousands of impacted families. Most need the most basic of furniture to start rebuilding. And the Houston Furniture Bank is here to help.
Many of these families have LOST EVERYTHING. These are families that now have NO bed to sleep on, NO chair to sit on and NO table to eat on.
Businesses, corporations, and individuals are asked to support the dire need to provide home furnishings to area residents by making a monetary donation to the Houston Furniture Bank today at http://houstonfurniturebank.org/get-involved/donate-money/.
Houston Furniture Bank accepts donations of gently-used, dry furniture. The most immediate needs for many families will be mattresses, tables and chairs. The more furniture available, the more families Houston Furniture Bank is able to assist. For more information, please visit http://houstonfurniturebank.org/get-involved/donate-items/ or call (713) 842-9771.
As the Houston Furniture Bank furniture distribution activities increase in the immediate future, there also is a critical need for additional volunteers to take calls, coordinate furniture donations, help with furniture distribution, help move furniture in the warehouse, as well as other duties. Please visit http://houstonfurniturebank.org/get-involved/donate/ for more information on volunteering.
Support efforts by purchasing furniture.
The Houston Furniture Bank Outlet Center Is also OPEN FOR BUSINESS. New, gently-used and deeply discounted furniture is available for purchase now. All proceeds go to the Houston Furniture Bank services and programs. The Outlet Center is open at 8220 Mosley Rd., 77075 from Tuesday to Saturday, 8 am to 4 pm.