Are you a high school or college student looking for a volunteer opportunity? While some school groups require that student members meet an annual community service goal, there are many other reasons why students should consider volunteering.
- As future leaders, it is best to nurture the value of volunteerism and giving back to the community.
- High school counselors often encourage students to undertake volunteer activities to spruce up their college applications, while college advisors recommend the same for improved post-graduate resumes.
- Volunteering can help create a professional network for future opportunities.
- Work performed on a volunteer basis can help you learn and improve skills such as teamwork, communication, and project management.
- You’ll feel good about what you’ve accomplished.
Did you know that volunteers donated nearly 20,000 hours of time to Houston Furniture Bank (HFB) in the first half of 2018? HFB volunteers vary from students meeting community service quotas and employee teams from local businesses to community groups and community members. And our volunteers help with everyday duties and special projects including warehouse and office work to fundraisers and donation drives.
Do you have a special skill you can share with us? Are you skillful at furniture repair? Can you help us with our printing needs? Can you provide a truck for deliveries? Whatever your special skills and unique resources, by sharing them with us, YOU can make the difference!
Would you prefer to organize a furniture drive or fundraiser? You can help raise funds or arrange a furniture drive in your neighborhood, your place of worship, a club or organization, school, or place of business. We’ll get you started and provide you with plenty of support. Your efforts will be providing priceless support to many families.
Volunteer today! Even if it’s only a few hours per month, you can be sure you’ll be making a big difference in many lives – and you’ll have fun while doing it, too. Learn more about volunteering at HFB by calling (713) 842-9771 or visiting http://houstonfurniturebank.org/get-involved/donate/.