Build a meaningful career!
Each and every one of our employees has a part to play in providing dignity, stability and comfort to those that face poverty. We are always looking to add passionate and driven individuals who want to make a difference in the Houston Community. We take every application seriously and consider all applicants equitably, regardless of experience or background. Our goal is to create a diverse, supportive, and talented team that can best meet the changing needs of our business. We thank all candidates for their interest and look forward to potential future collaboration.
Completed applications are to be submitted in person during business hours to our Houston location. Download our employment application below.
Houston Main Campus:
Houston, TX 77075
Email your resume: firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation:
- Administrative Office
Monday – Friday: 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Furniture Outlet Store
Monday – Saturday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
The Houston Furniture Bank is accepting employment applications for the following positions:
Making Empty Houses Homes is our mission. We serve families who are recovering from catastrophic events, impacted by chronic poverty, overcoming homelessness or affected by mental or physical health challenges. For many, receiving furniture from Houston Furniture Bank is as much about having a bed to sleep on or a table to eat at as it is about getting a helping hand in the transition towards independence and stability.
You will make an important contribution to our mission, reporting to the Senior Accountant. You will manage the daily activities of a dynamic business office, relating to administrative and accounting functions. You will be expected to apply accounting principles to process and analyze financial information. The Administrative Assistant will also prepare financial reports and schedules from departmental data/transactions received from: Mattress Manufacturing, Warehouse Recycling, Logistics, Furniture Assistance, and Outlet Center departments. Adaptability and capability to succeed in a small, diverse environment is critical to the role.
This is a key role in supporting HFB mission, vision, and values. As part of the accounting team you will help ensure the proper maintenance of the accounting system, internal controls and financial procedures. Equally as important, you will provide assistance to support functions, ensure the team is efficiently executing business processes, as well as monitor software performance and supply levels. The Bookkeeper/Accountant will also oversee:
Bi-Monthly and Monthly Payroll:
- Process payroll, maintain employee data, record payroll in ADP payroll system
- Manages vacation/sick leave time and prepares monthly report status for Sr. Accountant
- Maintains the “Cash” sheet for all revenue received by The HFB. Prepares daily bank deposits.
- Maintains cash receipts journal and enters any other accounts receivable in the accounting system.
- Prepares invoices for The Houston Furniture Bank on a monthly basis
- Reviews invoices, receipts, check request, and/or other related documentation for completeness and compliance with financial policies, procedures, and contractual requirements and enters them into appropriate accounting systems.
- Manages due dates for bills by preparing and presenting a weekly report to the Sr. Accountant.
- Process invoices including coding, entering into G/L, print and mail checks
- Prepares weekly activity reports to keep Associate Finance Director apprised of work activity throughout the week and maintain open communication.
- Oversee filing system for finance records. Other duties as assigned.
The candidate should be thoroughly committed to the HFB mission and have proven accounting/bookkeeping experience (non-profit experience is a plus). Microsoft Office (Excel) proficiency required. Previous G/L, payroll, accounts payable, account receivable preferred.
Other qualifications include:
- Legally authorized to work in the United States
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance preferred
- 1-3 years of experience in accounting and bookkeeping
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Volunteering and or working with a non-profit organization, preferred
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $30,000.00 – $40,000.00 per year (Non-exempt)
Physical setting: Office (In person)
Schedule: Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate: Houston, TX 77075: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before
starting work (Required)
As a Furniture Assistance Coordinator, your job is to facilitate furniture selection appointments with clients and their caseworkers. The families we serve come from diverse backgrounds. It is very important for individuals in this position to be compassionate and treat clients with respect and dignity as you assist them during their appointment.
- Support the activities of Client Service (Office), including non-profit partner & client appointment scheduling, case manager relations, client check-in, and client customer service.
- Schedule and review client appointments with agencies or case managers, and manage the on-going client appointment schedule.
- Perform various other functions associated with planning and record keeping of client appointments and clients served, including demographic sheets, and fee payments.
- Strong social skills with a passion for customer service
- Needs to be a proactive problem solver who can work with both donors and clients to find the most efficient solutions. Needs to be on time, reliable, and excited to work with the community.
- Enjoy speaking and interacting with diverse group of individuals and groups
- Work directly families, individuals, and partner agencies to pick out furniture, track information, and coordinate deliveries
- Responsible for entering client intake/demographic and inventory forms for internal tracking
- Monday-Friday: 8:00 am – 5:00 pm with a 1-hour lunch. Will be expected to work some Saturdays
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Preferred)
- Customer service: Experience (Required)
- Starting at $14 – $18/hour based on experience
- Health, Dental, Vision Insurance Program
- Paid Time Off (Vacation, Holidays, & Sick Time)
Furniture Bank is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we encourage and welcome applications from qualified and interested candidates from designated groups. We are committed to fostering an inclusive, accessible environment, where all employees, volunteers, clients, donors, and vendors feel valued, respected and supported. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of our communities in which we live and serve.
Come be a part of our mission, and see what the Furniture Bank is all about!
Assist customers in finding merchandise and purchasing products in the Furniture Outlet. Duties include ensuring the store merchandise is displayed, clean, priced, assisting and performing all transactions for sales and returns. Make sure every customer is greeted promptly and professionally and understands the mission of the Houston Furniture Bank. The sales associate is responsible for professionalism throughout the entire process.
Professionally assist every customer by presenting the best product with the best attitude
- Explain the mission of the Houston Furniture Bank
- Learn the product to create a professional presentation
- Know what product is available both stocked and available for order
- Complete the invoice by legibly customer information; name address phone numbers (more than one phone number if possible)
- Legibly write product information such as CM#2158CG Grey 6 pc dining room Table/4chairs/bench. Be clear and precise on what was sold
- Able to explain credit and delivery policy
- Handle customer service issues
- Systemically remove sold items from the Clover inventory program
- Furniture being donated back to the Houston Furniture Bank notate properly on the invoice
- Retail experience preferred
- Work assigned schedule on time
- Ability to work 40hr to 45hr per week including Saturday and an alternating Sunday schedule
- Ability to lift/bend and move furniture (approximately 50lb)
- Ability to work holidays as required
- Dress in appropriate attire
- Working knowledge of inventory system (Clover)
- Understanding of all requirements and policies of the Houston Furniture Bank
The position of Warehouse Worker is responsible for all aspects of warehouse functions including the receiving, storing, handling, shipping, and preparing of product for department delivery while maintaining the warehouse in a safe and orderly fashion.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Receives donations coming into the building by vendors, customers, or other donating entities accurately and promptly. Load trucks for delivery.
- Assist in verifying the quantity and description of materials received by checking merchandise against the packing list.
- Examine incoming shipments for damaged items. Immediately report any damages or discrepancies. (Items may be subject for rejection)
- Accurately place materials on shelves, in racks or other designated storage areas in an orderly manner.
- Safely operate all the necessary equipment in the work area. (Forklift if certified)
- Ensure warehouse/equipment is in a designated area at the end of day.
- Ensure co-workers and volunteers are working safely and are wearing a badge.
- Immediately report any unsafe practices to a supervisor.
- Follow all safety protocols and warehouse procedures
- Stock clean mattresses and box springs as they leave the cleaning room.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Assist other departments when needed.
- Take out trash and sweep in front of the WHSE.
- Additional duties may be required at time of need.
- Maintain a clean and orderly warehouse environment
We are looking for a reliable delivery driver who will represent our charity by conducting themselves in a courteous, respectful, and considerate way. The right candidate will stay aligned with our mission while being concerned with customer satisfaction and transporting items in a safe, timely manner. The delivery driver will pick up and drop off items while adhering to assigned routes and time schedules and ensure the items are complete, packed correctly, and safely delivered to the correct client.
To succeed as a delivery driver, you should be polite and prompt with a commitment to providing our clients with an excellent experience. You should be thorough in ensuring orders are properly fulfilled, committed to work safety, and enthusiastic about satisfying clients.
Delivery Driver Responsibilities:
- Loading, transporting, and delivering items to clients or businesses in a safe, timely manner.
- Reviewing orders before and after delivery to ensure orders are complete and signed by person sending and person receiving.
- Capturing signatures for all clients delivered to or picked up.
- Assisting with loading and unloading items from ALL trucks.
- Accepting payments for picked up items.
- Adhering to assigned routes and following time schedules.
- Abiding by all transportation laws
- Ensuring all paperwork and payments are turned in to the Dispatch office at the end of every day.
- Maintaining truck cleanliness inside and out.
- Operating equipment and machines, such as cars, trucks, pallet jacks/hand trucks, dollies, skateboards, etc.
Delivery Driver Requirements:
- Attention to detail.
- Valid Texas driver’s license.
- No moving violations in the last 5 years.
- At least 2 years’ experience driving a box truck.
- Strong time management and customer service skills.
- Ability to walk, drive, and lift and carry heavy items for extended periods.
- Willingness to adhere to assigned routes, schedules, policies, procedures, transportation laws and requests from Logistics Manager.
- Must be a collaborator/team player.
- Must have strong command of the English language (read, write, speak).
- Ability to thoroughly follow through with instructions.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYMENT
The Houston Furniture Bank is an equal opportunity employer and believes in fostering a diverse and inclusive staff. To do this, we not only recognize each individual’s diverse identity but also actively create and maintain a culture of inclusion where all HFB employees feel involved, respected, and supported for their identities. Please let us know of any accommodations you require.
Get Involved Today!
Every night, thousands of children in our city sleep on cold, hard floors. Houston Furniture Bank strives to offer mattresses to the families we serve – but we need your help. Your support means the world to us, and brings the gift of a good night’s sleep to children in need. Please donate any amount to support our mission.