Host Furniture Drive
Getting Started With Your Furniture Drive
Thank you for showing an interest in hosting a furniture drive for Houston Furniture Bank!
The essential furniture and household items you collect helps individuals and families from over 45 social service agencies create a safe, comfortable and healthy home. Since our resources depend on generous community donations, a furniture drive is a great way to ensure the items needed to serve those in need. If you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to contact us at (713) 842-9771.
Why Host a Furniture Drive?
How to Host a Furniture Drive!
- Furniture drives can be held any time, so choose the right time for your organization to host your drive
- We suggest you choose a furniture drive that is at least six weeks before the event
- Keep us informed of any changes
- Develop a roster of the volunteer committee with their full name and contact information
- In preparation they should:
- Recruit volunteers
- Assign volunteer job descriptions
- Manage instructions and forms
- Assemble Donor/Drop-Off Crew and Tallier packets
- During the event they will:
- Keep track of crews
- Make sure the drive is running smoothly
- We recommend that you have the following volunteer positions:
- Receives calls from potential donors
- Tells the donor that we will fill out a donation form and they will receive a tax receipt at drop-off
- Sends a reminder email and calls each donor a week before the drive
- Assembles Drop-Off Crew and Tallier Packets
- Plans and directs the route through the parking lot which directs the individuals who are dropping off their donations
- Greets donors dropping off their donations
- Fills out a Drop-Off Form and a Tax Receipt
- Explains the donation count to Tallier
- Receives donation drop-off forms
- Adds items to the Donation Tally Form
- We will provide templates, or you can create your own! Please share the finalized advertisement with us for approval
- We recommend the following types of advertising:
- Outreach brochures
- Web advertising (websites, social media, email campaigns, etc.)
- Outside publications such as signs and banners
- Set a goal for the number of pieces of furniture your organization wants to collect
- Share promotion materials on your organization’s social media channels one month in advance
- Post your flyers in high traffic areas! Use your company newsletter or email the staff to let them know it’s happening
- We will make announcements about the drive on our web channels
- Conduct the furniture drive!
- Take progress pictures throughout the drive
- Collect quotes from volunteers and donors
- Celebrate your successful furniture drive!
- Report the number of furniture items collected
- Share quotes from volunteers and donors
- Set a date for your next furniture drive, make it an annual event!
- Thank your volunteers and donors
- Share results and photos with local media, employees, customers, and other stakeholders
- We are more than happy to arrange an in-person thank you and share photos on social media
Here Are Some Tools To Get Started
Get Involved Today!
Every night, thousands of children in our city sleep on cold, hard floors. Houston Furniture Bank strives to offer mattresses to the families we serve – but we need your help. Your support means the world to us, and brings the gift of a good night’s sleep to children in need. Please donate any amount to support our mission.