Established in 2003, the D.I.V.A.S. are a special and unique volunteer arm of Houston Furniture Bank. They are a group of dedicated volunteers (mostly from the interior design community) that are committed to helping make empty houses homes. Through their efforts they help transform the homes of Houston Furniture Bank clients from bare bones into something homey & comfortable using mostly donated and gently-used items that are recreated, repurposed and redesigned.
D.I.V.A.S. projects and activities include:
- Working with families nominated by Houston Furniture Bank partner agencies and decorating their homes with everything from linens and pillows to artwork & curtains;
- Periodically working with area non-profit and service agencies to improve public and private areas, from teen counseling rooms to bedrooms in temporary housing facilities; and,
- Restoring and repurposing gently-used furniture and home goods for the D.I.V.A.S. boutique to raise funds for ongoing projects and supplement donations received.
D.I.V.A.S. make it simple to be a part of their mission: Just have a big heart and a passion for giving. They need all types of people and any level of involvement is welcome. A few ways you can get involved:
- Agency Partner – Refer a client to receive D.I.V.A.S. services;
- Donate – Provide monetary or in-kind donations for D.I.V.A.S. projects; and,
- I.V.A.S. Volunteer – Become a part of the D.I.V.A.S. team and help transform homes and lives.
For additional information on D.I.V.A.S., their history and their projects, visit their Facebook page or their Houston Furniture Bank webpage. For more information on getting involved, contact them at:
- Michelle King, DIVAS Co-Leader – email@example.com
- Kari Smith, DIVAS Co-Leader – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Saima Seyar, DIVAS Agency Coordinator — email@example.com